Ginisang ampalaya sa sardinas is delicious as it is nutritious! It’s easy to make, budget-friendly, and the perfect comfort food served with steamed rice.
My friends, meet our newest dinner favorite, ginisang ampalaya sa sardinas! There are so many things to love about this recipe and many reasons why it should be on your meal rotation.
Why you’ll love this dish
- It’s easy to make with simple ingredients and in under thirty minutes. Great for days when you want to be out of the kitchen in no time and need dinner in a hurry!
- It’s economical and budget-friendly. Cost per serving is about $1!
- it’s delicious and filling! The combination of tender-crisp bittermelon, flavorful sardines, and hearty tomato sauce is pure comfort food!
How to prepare ampalaya
- Choose the youngest and greenest gourds you can find. As the vegetable matures and yellows, the bitter taste intensifies.
- Scrape off all the white pith inside and slice the green flesh as thinly as possible.
- Soak the sliced ampalaya in cold salted water to remove some of the bitter taste.
- Keep stirring to a minimum and do not overcook the ampalaya to minimize the bitter taste.
- A little bit of sugar can help neutralize the bitter taste. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon along with salt and pepper.